Sacrifice, Love and Motherhood- Memoir Revised

Dyani Ramos

Professor Holly Papas

English 101

Memoir

Sacrifice, Love, Motherhood

One of the most important days of my life had to be February 2nd, 2014. The day before my son was born. The night before I truly knew the meaning of sacrifice for love. It was a cold Sunday night, the night of the super bowl in fact. Of course the Super Bowl was on – I was watching it in my living room with my boyfriend. I was enjoying some typical football food, salty fries and greasy pizza although I was feeling very large, uncomfortable, and mostly tired. Once you’re pregnant know you will not have another good nights sleep after you’re seven months.  My boyfriend and I were home alone my parents went to a friends hour to watch the game. My mom sarcastically warned me before they left “Don’t go into labor while we’re out” and she laughed. Little did she know…

Around 9PM I began having contractions. I wasn’t sure if it was the real thing of Braxton Hicks- which are very painful false contractions that can happen during pregnancy prior to actual labor. I tried to keep myself calm by taking a warm bubble bath to relax me. I paced around the house for a while. Time went by. The Seattle Seahawks won the Superbowl. Around 11PM I was positive he was coming although I was ten days away from my due date. I told my mom and son’s dad that we had to head to the hospital. They thought I was being dramatic and were too tired to deal with me. My mom said  in  a groggy  voice ‘It’s too early to go to the hospital. Are you sure?’ I replied ‘I think so’. I began second guessing myself- am I sure? I have never had a baby before how so I had no clue.

Sure or not I grabbed my bag, and my son’s overpacked diaper bag and we were on our way. My mom followed us in the car. When I arrived at the hospital I felt tired and drained- but believe me this was only the beginning. When I went upstairs I wasn’t dilated enough to be admitted to a maternity room. All I could think was there is no way I’m going home; God forbid they send me home. The nurse thankfully let me stay in the room for 2 hours. After the time passed nothing changed. I showed no progression. The nurse told me I had two options. Option one of two was to go home and ‘wait it out’ which did not sound appealing.

Option 2 was to walk around the hospital and check in with the nurse every half hour.

Option 2 it was! My mother and I did lap after while my boyfriend slept how nice for him. I was feeling hot, tired, stressed, and the constant contractions were not helping. Lap after lap, the white floors and walls began to bother me! I became dizzy feeling like I was being spun in circles in a white room. At one point one contraction was so painful I couldn’t stand I had to hold on to a nearby door. The door was cold as I was in my thin, lovely, blue triangle hospital gown. It was the least bit warming.

Finally after checking in four times at 3AM I showed progression so they were able to admit me. The maternity wing was packed. A ton of babies were coming including mine! I asked the nurse if this was ‘normal’ for them she told me “Whenever there is a storm approaching the more woman come in to deliver babies.” Odd I thought- was it because the woman were nervous about not making it to the hospital? I know we live in New England but it didn’t cross my mind. Or did more woman come in because mother nature had an odd way of making woman go into labor? Who Knows! Saint Luke’s was so packed one woman actually delivered her baby in the hallway because they were out of rooms in the maternity wing were all full. I remember telling my mom ‘Thank God I have a room- I couldn’t imagine delivering a baby in a hallway with no privacy! A nurse had to deliver a baby because the woman could not wait for the doctor to arrive. The nurse in my room looked at me and said “I will not deliver a baby so you will be waiting for the doctor” I laughed and agreed. Secretly thinking she wouldn’t be qualified enough to do so. I was feeling very excited, happy, and nervous all at the same time- so many emotions. Most importantly I was hoping I would be a good mother. How can I manage the stress of parenting which is a full time job along with my full time job?! I am not the first and I will not be the last I convinced myself which gave me comfort.

After hours and hours of waiting my progression came to a screeching halt. The nurse called the doctor in to talk to me. He was bald headed, and had gigantic blue reassuring eyes. He came and sat by the bedside and told me my son’s heart rate began to slow down. He convinced me everything was going to be okay but I needed to have a C section . Terrified, I agreed with him. Even though I did not want a C section my son’s health was more important. The nurses and doctor prepared the room for the C section. My boyfriend suited up in the gear they gave him which made him look like he would be preforming the surgery. I was wheeled over to the room feeling loopy. The surgery was not painful because of all the medication. I couldn’t see  anything, they had me covered which I was thankful for. I remembered lying there and feeling my boyfriend’s tears fall on my face as he watched our son come into the world.

Finally he was here February 3rd,2014 after what seemed like the longest night of my life. I was in recovery while his dad, and my parents both got to hold him – before me. Finally I was able to hold him and I truly believe you have a whole new outlook on life when you have children. You know what true love is when you have children. Although I had a tough pregnancy and a tough night in labor it was clear the joy he brought me holding him for the first time was worth everything I had sacrificed.

We were brought to our room on our first night as parents. Although this night would be a tough one to relive the pain and chaos was worth it. I declare it the best night of our lives. I cherish this night although it was a tough one. After having going through tough labor you become thankful and stronger as a human being for life itself.